The New World Order
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Backyard wrestling – Good or Bad?

Go down

Backyard wrestling – Good or Bad? Empty Backyard wrestling – Good or Bad?

Post  ladymahogany Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:29 pm

Backyard wrestling has received its share of criticism, though people still do it. It reached its height during WCW and WWF’s heyday of the extremely popular Attitude Era. Backyard wrestling is exactly how it sounds – a wrestling “fed” (and I use this term loosely because some are
more federation-like than others) held in someone’s backyard or other location that is not an arena. Often the wrestlers have not been professionally trained and are notorious for performing high risk stunts and hardcore action. From what I can tell, backyard wrestling has become so popular because of its distribution of videos through the internet. Loosely organized fans who just want to have a good time have their videos all over popular hosting sites such as YouTube. Others have professional-looking websites, roster lists, and even discussion boards that help them to combat the stereotype that they have no idea what they are doing. However the question is, is backyard wrestling deserving of the stigma it has?

Pro – From unknown independent wrestlers to the very successful Mick Foley, there are many wrestlers our there with backyard wrestling experience. It stands to reason then that a backyard wrestler could go on to have a professional career.

Con – Backyard wrestling feds do not have the same resources as professional indy feds do. They often use mattresses, homemade rings, trampolines, or the bare ground when performing stunts.

Pro – With the advent of the internet and DVDs, it is easier for these wrestlers to find out how to properly apply wrestling holds and moves which would reduce the risk of injury.

Con – These wrestlers are still not professionally trained and thus have an increased risk of serious injury.

Pro – The hardcore style that is often used in the backyard feds does have a fan base. Promotions like CZW and the defunct ECW are prime
examples of this.

Con – The more weapons you allow, the more likely someone is to be injured.

My verdict? Backyard wrestling should continue to be discouraged. The risk of injury seems to be the main criticism I’ve found, and watching the videos online shows some pretty sick bumps and falls which undoubtedly resulted in serious problems. However, I don’t think that backyard wrestling will disappear any time soon. As long as there are professional wrestlers, there will be people trying to emulate them.

So, what’s your verdict?
ladymahogany
ladymahogany
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-06-03

http://freewebs.com/theladym

Back to top Go down